Monday, January 24, 2011

Spending Christmas Away from Home - Again.


I know this blog is late, forgive me. But as of late, I've been busy traveling around the Philippines and I don’t own a laptop.

This was my second straight Christmas spent in another country. Last year, if you recall, I spent Christmas snorkeling on the island of Pulau Weh, Indonesia.

Good times.


This year, however, I've had the good fortune to spend Christmas in the Philippines. And even though it was a bit sad to be away from my family during the holidays, Sheila and her family filled the void, providing an atmosphere reminiscent of the comforts of home.


For Filipinos, Christmas Eve is celebrated more so than Christmas day. There’s a Christmas Eve feast, called Noche Buena, which begins once the clock strikes midnight. Our feast consisted of spaghetti, chicken curry, and menudo – a Filipino recipe which consists of green peas, ground pork in red sauce, carrots, sweet peas, raisins, and potatoes. Masarap! [translations: delicious]


On Christmas day, Sheila and I spent the morning exchanging gifts while speaking to my mother and brother through Skype. Technology really shrinks the world.


-Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment