Thursday, October 28, 2010

Manila, Philippines: Welcome Back!



I couldn't sleep a wink on the plane from Korea due to my complete, utter excitement to be returning to this amazingly beautiful country. But if you've been reading my blog as of late, then you would know that the real reason why I'd returned to the Philippines was, ultimately, because of Sheila. If you recall, after I left the Philippines in May, she flew to Singapore to meet me where we spent an amazing 5 days together. Who would have thought that Singapore, out of all places, would turn out to be one of the highlights of my travels. And because I had such a sensational time with Sheila in Singapore, I vowed that I would return to the Philippines.


Fast forward 2.5 months.

It was great to be back in the Philippines. And with my 2 month visa in hand, I brisked through Immigration. Despite that my flight was scheduled to arrive at 1 o'clock in the morning, Sheila graciously agreed to pick me up. It's a great feeling to be picked up from the airport. However, this time Sheila wasn't waiting for me outside in her car. Nope. She surprised me by waiting at the airport arrival waiting area, holding a sign in which she laughingly pointed to, which read, "Mr. Sloppy." The nickname "Mr. Sloppy" - an inside joke between Sheila and I - is one of many nicknames that she has for me.


It was great to see Sheila again. Oh, how long 2.5 months feels when you're separated from someone that you miss. I immediately dropped my rucksack and lifted Sheila in the air, not caring who was watching as we exchanged a big hug and kiss.

Back in the car as we were driving to her apartment, I laughed and told Sheila how I couldn't believe she had the audacity to hold that silly 'Mr. Sloppy' sign in the airport, something which, she said, created a lot of laughs from passersby.

"I thought about using 'Mr. Psycho'," Sheila said, "but I thought that would attract too much attention from the airport security."

It was great to be back, indeed.

-Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment