Sunday, July 11, 2010

Singapore, Part 2: Arab Street, Marina Square, Singapore Flyer, Glutton Bay, and the City's Skyline.

"We're in Singapore together!" we both shouted as we coasted along in Singapore's clean and efficient subway system, called the Mass Rapid Transit (MRT). We would frequently repeat this to one another throughout the day - and week.

Instead of toting around our luggage all day, waiting for Sheila's friend, Jeng, to get off work, we decided that it'd be best to find a hostel for the night. We refrained from reserving any rooms in advance, thinking it would be easy enough to find one once we arrived in Singapore.

We thought wrong.

Every hotel or hostel that we found were either fully booked or way too expensive. And when we found a hostel out of our price range and asked where we could find other neighboring accommodations, they would give us blank, dumbfounded looks and say they didn't know. What a bunch of jerks. And Singapore isn't the type of place, like the rest of Southeast Asia, where you can walk aimlessly around town and easily find accommodation. Singapore is massive and its businesses and accommodations are spread out. It really reminded me of Chicago or Manhattan or something. It's too vast to walk around without knowing where to go.

We found a KFC to dine-in as we were both hungry and a bit tired. Sheila and I made all kinds of ruckus in KFC as we were being quite loud, laughing and playing around with one another. Everyone in the restaurant stared at us. I mentioned this to Sheila and suggested maybe we should turn it down a notch.

"I don't care what people think," Sheila responded admittedly. And my suggestion only fueled her to continue with her erratic antics even further, causing everyone once again to look in our direction. She began laughing hysterically.

"Oh, gawd," I said before succumbing and returning to my goofy ways as well, enjoying the hilarity of it all.

Because I didn't want Sheila to continue strolling around her heavy luggage in the heat, I suggested that I'd go back out myself in search of accommodation.

"I don't mind coming with you," Sheila quickly responded. I knew that she didn't and I really digged that about her. I love how she doesn't mind roughing it. But I insisted that she stay, and I headed back out again in hopes that I'd return with good news.



And after about 45 minutes I returned, happy to have actually found something. The name of the place I found was called Sleepy Sam's Hostel, located off Arab Street which, fittingly, had a large Mosque present at the end of the street. The hostel was in a quaint area, nestled in between numerous boutique shops. I was pleased that Sheila liked the hostel that I'd found. She said it reminded her of the Red Palm, the hostel where we met in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. It really was a lovely hostel, it's just too bad it cost $28 Singapore dollars. Ouch!

Once we were directed to our bunk bed and settled in, we decided to rest for a bit before we went out. I climbed up to the top bunk where Sheila was resting, and layed next to her. We both became quiet after speaking to one another for awhile, and as we were both laying on our backs resting, I reached down a grabbed my Ipod. I placed one speaker in Sheila's ear and one in mine before I pressed play.

I wanna love you and treat you right;
I wanna love you every day and every night:
We'll be together with a roof right over our heads;
We'll share the shelter of my single bed;
We'll share the same room, yeah! - for Jah provide the bread.
Is this love - is this love - is this love -
Is this love that I'm feelin'?
Is this love - is this love - is this love -
Is this love that I'm feelin'?
I wanna know - wanna know - wanna know now!
I got to know - got to know - got to know now!



If Sheila hadn't forced me to get up I would've layed there for the rest of the evening; but we had things to do and places to go. It was Sheila's fourth time to Singapore, so she had an itinerary written out for us. It was great not having to think or plan anything as I really didn't know much about the city. I simply played follow the leader. Nice.

Our first stop that evening was at Marina Square where we took some pictures in front of the Pinnacle, an intriguing constructed building shaped as a subway sandwich.

Next we made out way to the Singapore Flyer, a large Ferris wheel. We sat along the river adjacent to the Flyer and enjoyed a pretty sunset. It was amazing to see how the city lights up once it gets dark. We spent about 2 hours there conversing and relaxing.


Afterwards, Sheila led us to Glutton's Bay where we enjoyed a beautiful view of Singapore's skyline before consuming a delicious meal at the local market.

My first day in Singapore had been amazing. I thought to myself that, if the rest of my days in Singapore were going to be as good as the one I'd just had, that I was in for some good times. I felt as if I was sittin' on top of the world, I was just glad Sheila was sittin' there next to me too.

-Adam

1 comment:

  1. I love it! Happy times for you both. :D xoxox

    ReplyDelete