Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Philippines: Final Day...

I was back in Manila after an amazing week. Unfortunately, I only had one day left. I was having an unforgettable time in the Philippines, and with my newfound feelings for Sheila, I didn't even want to think about leaving. Speaking of which, she picked me up from the airport yet again. So sweet. I was really looking forward to spending my final day with her.

Before Sheila and I went out for lunch, I walked down to the local barbershop as I knew how much Sheila enjoyed seeing me clean shavin'. Now that my face was as smooth as a baby's behind, I was ready for some lunch. I told Sheila about a restaurant, called Casa Manila, that I'd heard about from the 'French connection' while I was in Banaue. They told me about its cheap, delicious buffet and that I had to check it out. And that's exactly what I intended to do. Casa Manila was located near the Intramuros, the Spanish old walled city, and was beautifully situated amongst Spanish colonial buildings, gardens, and cobblestone streets. It was a delightful place to have lunch. Quite charming, really. What was even more delightful, however, was to be eating with Sheila, who, I must say, was looking quite lovely. How did I get to be so lucky?

Afterwards, we went to the mall as I wanted to look for an electric razor. Mine had recently broken and I was tired of waisting money at the barbershop, as it is something I could easily do myself. I did find some, but all the battery operated clippers were too expensive for my liking. Dammit. I'm just gonna have to buck up one of these days and buy one. I'm such a cheap bastard.


"Hey, do you want to watch a movie?" Sheila asked.

"Yeah, sure!" I excitedly responded, "I haven't been to the movie theatre since Medan, Indonesia, way back in January."

"Okay, good. Because I wanted to see Sex and the City 2," she said, "Is that okay with you?"

"Hmmm...Sex and the City?" I responded, with a sudden curb in my enthusiasm.

"That's okay if you don't want to see it," she said, noticing my mood change, " I'll just see it with my friends from the office.''

"No, no, no. We can see it," I said, jumping into damage control mode, "I mean, it obviously wouldn't have been my first movie of choice, but if that's what you want to see, that's fine."

And it really was fine, as I was just happy to be going to the movie theatre and to be with Sheila.

We had an hour before the show started, so we sat downstairs at the food court. While killing time, we shared our favorite actors, actresses and movies with each other, while, at the same time, playing the game 'spot the white guy in the mall'.

"I like the movie Space Jam," Sheila casually said.

"Space Jam?" I responded, with a 'you have to be joking' tone in my voice.

"What?!" Sheila replied, "I love the Looney Tunes!"

"Yeah, and I love Michael Jordan, but I didn't think Space Jam deserved an Oscar or anything!"

We both began to laugh hysterically.

"Oh, another white guy!..."


It's safe to assume that Sex and the City 2 wasn't one of my favorite movies; however, I did enjoy myself. Afterwards, we grabbed a bite to eat at a pizzeria before heading back to Sheila's apartment. Not wanting the night to end, we layed down and talked for hours. We reminisced about the past 3 weeks and the future weeks to come. Life had been grand.

The next day was the day I had been dreading: the day I was leaving.

Because my flight was leaving from Clark Airport, located 2 hours outside of Manila, Sheila kindly drove me to the bus station. Upon arriving the bus station, however, we were told that the next bus wasn't scheduled to depart for another hour and a half. Since I had time to spare, Sheila suggested that we go inside the mall, located directly across the street, and have some breakfast. Sounded great to me, as I was going to be able to spend more time with her.

I still didn't have much of an appetite since I'd been cursed (see previous blog), so I settled for a banana shake. Over breakfast we had a thought-provoking conversation about life. After looking down at my watch I noticed it was about time for my bus to depart. Ugh! I wished as portrayed in the movies and books, when with a significant other that time would just stand still when I was with Sheila. But for me, time passed like that - Snap! - and what felt like just brief moments was, in actuality, hours spent with Sheila. Time moved too fast. But life generally does, doesn't it?

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could just miss it." -Ferris Bueller.

I dreaded getting up from my chair as I knew I couldn't change the ensuing events.

"Well," I said, as I began to throw on my backpack, "I guess it's time to become a highwayman again." And for the first time during my travels I wasn't looking forward to my next destination. As we began walking through the mall I heard the song "Iris" by the Goo Goo Dolls being played:

"...and all I can taste is this moment
And all I can breath is your life
Cause sooner or later it's over
I just don't want to miss you tonight..."

"Man, I love this song," I said to Sheila, now grinning as we approached the exiting doors.

Of course the bus didn't arrive on time, which, again, was fine with me. After we took some pictures of one another we sat down. Sheila clasped my hand as we waited for the bus, then began speaking about ways in how we could see each other again.

Out of the blue, I told Sheila how I loved the song that she sang the other week, and asked what the name of the song was.

"What song?" she asked.

"You know, the song you sang at the comedy club," and I proceeded to hum it, as it was in Tagalog.

"I can't believe you remember that song," she said, sounding astonished.

"Well, it was such a lovely song," I explained, "Plus, you sounded so pretty singing it."

I didn't tell her that I had a recording of her singing it on my camera, which I viewed daily. I just loved listening to her sing it.

She told me that the name of the song was "Para Sa Akin." Then I asked her if she could sing it for me. And without hesitation, she began to sing the song in front of everyone, regardless of who was listening. Oy vey, she made my heart melt. She sounded even better than the singer, Sitti - and it was Sitt's song!



The bus pulled up as she finished. I stood up and let out a sigh.

"Awww. I'm going to miss you, Adam," she told me, as she lunged in and gave me a hug, placing her head against my chest.

I gave her a kiss to the forehead and reluctantly entered the bus. After I got situated, I stood up from my seat and waved to Sheila goodbye.

As the bus drove off I sat in my seat, starring out the window.

The trail had taken a sudden, unforeseen turn - but for the best. Even though I was going to be in Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia in a few hours, my heart was still going to be in Manila.

"Damn,'' I thought, "I think I'm lovestoned."

And I think that she knows . . .

.

Next Stop: Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia.

-Adam

5 comments:

  1. I love the blog. Keep it coming. If you're still traveling in a year I'm going to come find you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know for sure, Sheila sings better than the original singer! Keep going Adam, stay happy! This blog is like a fairy tale...

    ReplyDelete
  3. @St. Thomas: Thanks, man. Are you going to travel next year?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Helen: Yes, she most certainly does sound better. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm battling a disease right now and the second I get done I'm planning on checking out the world. I have a wife in tow though.

    ReplyDelete