Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Vientiane, Laos

Georgios and I finally pulled ourselves away from Vang Vieng and made our way to Vientiane, the capital of Laos. We made it to Vientiane early in the evening and I was surprised to see how relatively small the capital was. I mean, the population of Laos is roughly 6 million so I shouldn't have been TOO surprised, I guess. As soon as Georgios and I exited the bus we immediately darted towards the city's center. Georgios had been here before and knew how quickly the hotel rooms can fill up—which they did. All the budget accommodation hotels and guesthouses didn't have any rooms available, so we had to settle for a hotel that was a bit more upscale for our liking, which, in the end, was fine as I would only spend two nights in the capital. That night we ate dinner outside along the Mekong River, which was quite pleasant. Afterwards we laid out on a large mat and pillow, which were provided at the restaurant and enjoyed nice conversations under the dark clear skies.

I devoted the following day strictly for uploading pictures from my camera to my Flickr account. Thank goodness the hourly rate for the Internet was cheap because I spent ALL day at the Internet cafe, as the connection was extremely slow. I reported my progress throughout the day to Georgios every hour, who was accessing free Wi Fi with his laptop across town. After spending hours in front of a computer uploading pictures, Georgios and I met up and had dinner at some Indian restaurant near our hotel. Over dinner we discovered we both shared a passion for lucid dreams. It was refreshing to talk to someone who experiences lucid dreams, too.


After dinner I craved something sweet, and found an Indian guy selling banana pancakes with chocolate. Yummy. As I was enjoying my pancake, Georgios noticed a Dutch guy walking up the street that he recognized from Luang Prabang. The Dutch guy approached us and asked Georgios if he was interested in buying his motorbike. Now what was so funny about this, is that Georgios had just expressed his interests to me about purchasing a motorbike. And as I’ve mentioned in one of my previous blogs, Georgios travels strictly by looking for signs, inspired by a book he’d read called The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. So when Georgios was asked if he was interested, we both looked at each other as if to say ‘follow the signs?’

After dessert, Georgios saw me off from our hotel. I was leaving by an overnight sleeper bus to Don Det, located in southern Laos amongst the 4,000 islands. I really enjoyed my days traveling with Georgios and hope to cross paths with him again someday, the traveling Gods willing.

Oh yeah, a few days later I received an email from Georgios: He’s currently cruising around Laos by motorbike—and loving it.

Follow the Signs.

-Adam

Next Stop: Don Det, Si Phon Don (Four Thousand Islands)

No comments:

Post a Comment