Thursday, November 12, 2009

One Night in Bangkok

We Finally landed in Bangkok and our first mission was to get to The Overstay. This is the place we found on CouchSurfing.com that would provide us free accommodation. It was much more difficult to communicate with the locals than expected. Especially since no one knew where The Overstay was located, even the people that knew English didn't know. After a long taxi ride, which included many stops in order to read our hand written directions, we finally made it to our destination.

What can I say about The Overstay? Now I knew we were going to be staying at some pretty gross places but this was a little too much for my first overnight experience in Asia. The idea of the place is very unique and cool. It has four floors plus a rooftop. First floor being the bar and chill out area; second floor being rented private rooms; third floor was an art gallery, sort of speak; and the fourth floor was a dormitory with 5 bunk beds and the rooftop had a few hammocks. This place was unbearably hot because it didn't have any a/c. That's fine, but there were only 2 fans in the whole place (If you didn't know, Bangkok is extremely hot and ridiculously humid). Also, when we first arrived at around 2p.m. the owner was still sleeping. We'll get back to The Overstay in a bit.

My first impression of the city was that this place is just a different world. There are so many people in this city and it was extremely dirty. I really felt like I was in a movie walking down the street with all the street food vendors, beggars, and people (scammers) trying to sell us stuff. We ended up seeing a lot of cool temples, Buddhas, and unique architectural buildings. I just got sick and tired of all the scammers trying to get us to do stuff. If someone looked like they were being nice they were just fronting and directing us to their to their scammer friends. It didn't help I was extremely tired from the flight.

So we finally get back to The Overstay after a long night of trying to find our way back. That was a whole ordeal in itself. The owner was awake and we introduced ourselves. Long story short he ws not a cool person and Adam and I did not get good vibes from him. We did meet some interesting people there. I went to bed very early because I was so tired. Adam stayed in the bar area for a while longer talking with other travelers. When I woke up in the morning I had red marks all over the back of my arms and a few on my forearms. I ended up getting bedbug bites (gross I know), I even checked for them when I went to sleep but there wasn't a light in the room. I do hear all long term travelers eventually get them so I'm not too embarrassed; however, the two month mark would have been better than the first night!

The next day we did more sight seeing and then went back to The Overstay. Their internet was working so we did a few things and then looked up some train and bus rides for the southern islands in Thailand. We were planning to leave in two days but we actually found one for that night and took off at 7p.m. from Bangkok to the island of Koh Tao.


The traveling gods tried to throw a damper in my trip but I will not allow it.

-Marc

ps. we will try to put up pictures up as soon as we can.

7 comments:

  1. Dear Boys,
    Sorry that Bangkok gave u a problem. But your attitude is good and I konw you won't let it put a damper on the wonderful joureys ahead.
    God Bless you both,
    Aunt Elise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marc,
    I respect the blog and I look forward to checking in on you guys from time to time. As for the bedbugs, I hope they are a lot like chickenpox- one and done. Safe travels to you and your brother.
    Bosch

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post really reminds me of the song One Night in BangKok by Murray Head. I know I'm showing my age but the song was from 1984 here is the chorus...

    One night in Bangkok makes a hard man humble
    Not much between despair and ecstasy
    One night in Bangkok and the tough guys tumble
    Can't be too careful with your company
    I can feel the devil walking next to me

    Sounds like you experienced JUST that!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i got bedbugs there. and mosquito bites too. it comes with the territory.

    go over to ~soi 19 near sukumvhit and get a massage. maybe even an aloe massage to help with the bites. you'll feel better. hour massage for 200baht.. can't beat that.

    remind me, how many days are you in bangkok before moving on?

    ReplyDelete
  5. We were only there for 2 days and 1 night. We have been in Koh Tao for 3 days and this will be our 3rd night. Don't know how long we will stay?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Adam (and bro)! If you get a chance, check out Koh Pahn Ngan (I think that's how you spell it; I can't remember) and Koh Pi Pi. Both are amazingly beautiful. And if you can snorkel in the area, you should.

    Sorry about the bedbugs! I've never gotten them, but I dread the time when I do. How funny, though, that I just wrote a post for my blog about couchsurfing (and my blog isn't even about travel)! Hah.

    How long are you planning on being in Thailand?

    ReplyDelete